History

Pioneers in Edmonton

As per statistics issued by the Canadian Department of Citizenship and Immigration, between the years of 1948 and 1956, forty-four Portuguese people immigrated to Alberta, Canada, followed by another group of 236 immigrants in 1957. From this last group, 116 went to work with the Canadian National Railroad at the Calder station in the city of Edmonton. These were the pioneers of the Portuguese community of Edmonton.

Origin

In 1982, 114 pioneers were identified having established residence in Edmonton. From the 114 pioneers, 91 were from the Azores, 22 were from the mainland of Portugal, and 1 pioneer was from the island of Madeira. In the beginning, these pioneers kept their faith alive by attending the services at various local churches.

First celebrations in Portuguese

On July 29, 1962, a young group of Portuguese was confirmed by the Archbishop of Edmonton. At this time, a request was made to the Archbishop to appoint a priest to assist the community in Portuguese. After several meetings headed by Fr. Raymond Vozza of Calgary and Fr. Fernandes of Winnipeg, a decision to obtain an image of Our Lady of Fatima was made, Fr. Vozza went to Fatima, Portugal, purchased the image and brought it with him to Edmonton.

On May of 1971 the first procession of Our Lady of Fatima took place at the Sacred Heart School and there was a very large participation by the Portuguese catholic community of Edmonton. As the time went by, the need for a Portuguese spoken priest became more relevant and after some meetings with the Archbishop, arrangements for a priest from Brazil were made to come to Edmonton.

On August 27, 1972 Fr. Arduino Antonello, a Salesian priest arrived in Edmonton to work with the Portuguese catholic community of Edmonton.

On September 3, 1972, Fr. Arduino celebrated his first mass at the Sacred Heart Church and the Portuguese Mission of Edmonton was initiated. The rent to use the Sacred Heart Church was set at $150.00 per month and Sunday mass was to be celebrated at 12 p.m. (noon). After some consideration, the parish council concluded that there was a real need to teach Portuguese to the children and on August of 1973 the first Portuguese school in Edmonton was started.

First Anniversary of the Parish

On September 8, 1973 we celebrated the first anniversary of the Portuguese Mission of Edmonton and at the request of the people the name was changed to Our Lady of Fatima – Portuguese Parish.

Due to the increase of attendance, it became necessary to celebrate more masses, however this was not possible at the Sacred Heart Church. After some consideration arrangements were made to use the St. Emeric Church ((106 Ave & 98 St.) and on June 9, 1974 we moved to the new location; the monthly rent was $130.00 to celebrate 3 masses and use the hall for meetings and youth activities.

Historical Landmarks

  • On June 23, 1974, the 4th class examinations were held in the presence of the Consul of Vancouver.
  • On September 15, 1974, the statue of Senhor Santo Cristo was blessed. Purchased from a sculptor in Portugal, it cost $800, which was donated by the Portuguese Catholic community of Edmonton.
  • On November 5,1974 after some consideration, it was decided that the procession for Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres would be on the Sunday of June, Father’s Day.
  • As time passed, the congregation kept increasing and it was becoming more apparent that we needed to have our own church.
  • On July 11, 1975 we purchased the “New Apostolic Church” located at 11011 – 84 St.
  • On August 2,1975 we took possession of the new Church and the inauguration was celebrated with a special mass with the attendance of the Salesian director from Sao Francisco. The congregation kept growing and the once again it became apparent that we needed a bigger church and a hall.
  • On March 24, 1979 the parish council met with the Archbishop to discuss the possibility of acquiring a bigger church and a hall, the Archbishop was very understanding of our needs and made several suggestions.
  • On April 30, 1979 we made the last payment on the church’s mortgage.
  • On July 17, 1982 Fr. Antonio Taparello, a Scalabrian priest was appointed as the new priest to service our parish replacing Fr. Arduino who moved to Victoria, BC to service the Portuguese catholic community of that city.

Pioneiros em Edmonton

Segundo dados estatísticos do “The Canadian Department of Citizenship and Immigration” mencionam que emigraram de Portugal com destino à Província de Alberta quarenta e quatro portugueses no período compreendido entre 1948 a 1956 e um contigente de duzentos e trinta e seis em 1957. Destes últimos, que vieram em três grupos entre Abril e Junho, cento e dezasseis foram trabalhar na via férria da Canadian National Railroad na estação terminal de Calder, na cidade de Edmonton. Portanto estes foram os verdadeiros pioneiros do estabelecimento da Comunidade portuguesa de Edmonton.

Origem

Em 1982 foi possível identificar cento e quatorze pioneiros entre a comunidade lusa de Alberta que fixaram domicílio na cidade de Edmonton. De acordo com a sua origem, verifica-se que destas cento e quatorze pessoas, noventa e uma eram das Ilhas dos Açores, vinte e duas do continente e uma da Ilha da Madeira. No começo, estes emigrantes mantiveram viva a sua fé participando nos serviços religiosos em igrejas locais. 

Primeiras celebrações em Português

No dia 29 de Julho de 1962, realizou-se a confirmação do primeiro grupo de jovens portugueses, os quais solicitaram ao senhor Arcebispo a nomeação de um sacerdote que pudesse dar-lhes assistência religiosa em língua portuguesa. Após várias reuniões e ajudados pelo padre Raimundo Vozza de Calgary e pelo padre Pedro Fernandes de Winnipeg, trouxeram a imagem de Nossa Senhora de Fátima.

Em Maio de 1971, na escola do Sagrado Coração de Jesus organizou-se a primeira procissão de Nossa Senhora de Fátima.

A 27 de Agosto de 1972 chegou a Edmonton o padre Arduíno Antonello, salesiano, que veio do Brasil para trabalhar com a comunidade portuguesa.

No dia 3 de Setembro de 1972, o padre Arduíno celebrou a sua primeira missa na igreja do Sagrado Coração de Jesus dando início à “Portuguese Mission of Edmonton”. Os portugueses pagariam $150.00 por mês e celebrariam uma missa às 12:00.

Primeiro Aniversário da Paróquia

A 8 de Setembro de 1973 foi comemorado o primeiro aniversário da paróquia portuguesa “Portuguese Mission of Edmonton” e a pedido to povo passou a ter o nome de “Our Lady of Fátima Church – portuguese parish”. Também em 1973, em Agosto, com aprovação do conselho paroquial, deu-se início ao ensino gratuito da língua portuguesa.

O número de paroquianos aumenta bastante e torna-se nessário celebrar mais missas para satisfazer as necessidades da paróquia. Em virtude de não ser possível celebrar mais missas na igreja do Sagrado Coração de Jesus, houve necessidade de procurar outra igreja onde fosse possivel satisfazer as necessidades religiosas da paróqua que continuava a crescer e a 9 de Junho de 1974 a paróquia passou a usar a igreja de St. Emeric (106 Ave. e 98 St.), o custo mensal foi de $130.00 e passou-se a celebrar 3 missas dominicais, havendo também acesso ao uso do salão para reuniões e actividades dos jovens.

Marcos Históricos

  • A 23 de Junho de 1974 realizaram-se os exames da 4a class com a presença do senhor cônsul de Vancouver.
  • A 15 de Setembro de 1974 foi benzida a estátua do Senhor Santo Cristo, esta imagem veio de Portugal e custou $800.00, quantia esta doada pela comunidade católica portuguesa de Edmonton.
  • A 5 de Novembro de 1974 e após várias tentativas não sucedidas foi finalmente decidido que a festa do Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres se realizaria no segundo domingo de Junho, dia dos pais.
  • A comunidade continuava a crescer e a necessidade de ter um local próprio tornava-se mais premente e assim a 11 de Julho de 1975 foi comprada a igreja “New Apostolic Church” situada no 11011 – 84 St.
  • A 2 de Agosto de 1975 tomamos posse da nova igreja com celebração de missa solene pelo Provincial Salesiano de São Francisco.
  • A 24 de Março de 1979, o conselho paroquial reuniu-se com o Sr. Arcebispo de Edmonton para falar sobre a possibilidade de adquirir uma igreja maior e que tivesse um salão. O senhor Arcebispo apreciou o movimento da paróquia e deu várias sugestões.
  • A 30 de Abril de 1979 fez-se o último pagamento da compra da atual igreja.
  • A 17 de Julho de 1982, a congregação Escalibriana na pessoa do padre António Taparello, assumiu a administração da paróquia.